I love this flared denim skirt and the whole outfit so much! The little gold accents are perfect with navy. Continue reading
I began in 2011 with the Kelly and continues most recently with the Plumes. It would be very neat to announce ended with such and such a bag but the fact is there are one or two others on my wishlist that may or may never happen for me. In the meantime I must edit nearly half from my collection and in the near future, probably another edit of a handful to leave me with no more 12 which I believe is still very indulgent. It is simply because of my love for the Kelly … which I do know will be the majority of my H collection ultimately. Continue reading
My outfit the other day when I was out of the house the entire day and evening in different places indoors and outdoors. If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, this Coup de Fouet scarf features a lot! The fact is it went with everything when I first got it and it continues to do so after nearly 4 years. And I still love wearing it. The leather jacket hasn’t been worn much at all in 3 years but that’s fast changing all of a sudden this year. Continue reading
- 2.55, Reissue and Classic styles – these were my main considerations from the start and I came to realise that the Classic suits me and my purpose the least
- Hardware – the golden hardware is much too blingy for me, I can only wear the vintage 2.55 golden chain and the modern versions are simply too much. It’s not just the gold tone, it’s the very shiny nature of the hardware
- New styles – the Boy and now the Gabrielle bags do not light my fire. At all.
- Size – such an obsession of mine – lol – as I mentioned before, I have downsized my wallet and don’t carry that much else on a day to day basis plus I have come to appreciate small bags are simply more me
Hoping everyone had a great Summer despite hurricanes and other natural disasters! May everyone be safe and sound now …
My first post here Nearly four years later, it’s high time to revisit, reassess and re-evaluate Function, Size, Leather, Weight, Maintenance and Colour.
I think it’s as important to affirm what still works and is relevant as discovering the changes and irrelevant. Here’s a quick summary:
Function: now mainly everyday casual – for which read cross body – and much less for smart and travel occasions.
Size: smaller bags since I have reduced further what I need everyday changing to a much more compact wallet/coin purse.
Leather: I used to prefer smooth leathers and this has changed because of my mainly casual everyday function and the smooth leathers in my collection tend to look too smart.
Weight: I am still obsessed with this factor and it’s easier because of my preference for smaller bags going forward.
Maintenance: my life changes has meant less and less time to maintain my bags which makes me sad. I really must tackle this soon.
Colour: I still love colour and the major change is that I have since become a lover of Hermes shawls. These provide all the colour and pattern interest I’ll ever need.
I haven’t had to commute in the longest time but when I do move then it really is full on and this means easy to wear, sling over the shoulder or better still cross body for hands free action bags. Any extras carried in as small as I-can-get-away-with tote and I can concentrate on everything else. And I still want my bags to look pretty special at the same time, never too casual, the same as my outfits. I’ve been obeying the LOVE IT rule and not compromising which has been the root of many if not all past errors of judgement shall we say.
While writing this post, I was contacted by a lovely reader with specific questions which I always welcome and we had the most interesting exchange about a first Hermes bag purchase. It’s not easy to choose! For me, after several mistakes on several different levels, I know my approach must be as follows:
- I want to use my bags as often as possible which means they have to be practical and reasonably tough
- I am trying to obey the rule that the bags must serve the activities in my life and not some imaginary life in my dreams lol as per Lady Sarah’s directive here
- Beauty, fine materials, craftsmanship and practicality give me pleasure however it doesn’t mean I need to use a luxe bag for my swim gear ….
To be continued …..
Thanks for reading!
From my Instagram: ‘Old and new’ is pretty much what I wear all the time, from the earliest days of vintage and second hand discoveries as a young student from out of town (way, way out!) in London. Still now, as I curate and edit my wardrobe a little more diligently (thank you ladysarahinlondon), there are small treasures to re-discover. Continue reading