I still break out in a cold sweat thinking about this very real event in less than a couple of months’ time! The hardest part is doing it while looking reasonably stylish – or is that simply impossible? There’s no point avoiding it any longer so have started a plan:
- Luggage: what can everyone carry with ease balanced against what we need to take? Ideally we should just check in one large suitcase. I need to be hands free to be able to pull along a cabin bag. My kids can each carry a small rucksack with essentials (my girls will want to take half their bedrooms and my Boy will want ALL of his Lego!)
- Packing: decide on an edited list for everyone (especially Mummy!)
- Travel outfits: layers for the varying temperatures en route
- Medication + first aid: with kids you always have to be reasonably prepared and in our case, I will have to carry an Epi Pen (will need to check if supporting documents are required with it)
- Food and beverage: with kids you always need a light food supply and I always take some water (never juice or pop) for the long journey to the airport
- Spare clothes: with kids you always need a spare set just in case
I will tackle 2. first and list tops and bottoms for them, clothes for myself, toiletries, underwear, accessories, swimwear and footwear then I can better judge what will fit in our luggage for checking in. The carry on will have to fit my 3 handbags and shoes plus spare clothes for the kids. It’s going to be hard to decide on my travel outfit this time because I need to be as comfortable as possible but dislike wearing trousers on a plane – and I don’t wear leggings, cargos, pyjamas, joggers or tracksuit – at least not out in public.