My main packing experience is for long haul flights with children, [sometimes on my own with the children], so it’s quite intense and therefore I prefer to make the effort worthwhile and be away for several weeks. Before that I traveled frequently on shorter breaks (without children). I’m having to recall those memories and apply whatever I can now that we are embarking on trips lasting a fortnight or less. The children are old enough to look after their own carry ons leaving me finally free to fill mine with my own stuff. Mostly.
So the first challenge is a trip over the festive period for 10 days divided exactly between house sitting for my brother and taking up residence at a local hotel. The only dressing up opportunities will be for Christmas day and New Year’s day although still very low key. However, you know me, I always like to make the most of these chances if possible. [My youngest is desperate to go to the New Year Disco she saw advertised at the nearby gastropub and she’s only 10! Don’t tempt me!].
- Weather considerations : maybe extremely cold and or wet
- Don’t want to launder more than once in 10 days but wish to travel light
- Activities: walks, meals out, indoor stuff
- No driving
The main reason I never travel during the cold months is that you have to schlep around more clothes and I have enough trouble in that department even in Summer! So for a 10 day break, I’ve already got a problem with choosing just one coat that will be durable for traveling and smart enough for festive outings. And for the same reason choosing just 2 pairs of shoes – of course one pair could suffice but I wouldn’t be a happy bunny, no not at all. And finally just ONE bag! How is that going to be possible?
- a coat – grey or black?
- 2 pairs of shoes – probably ankle boots
- a handbag – a K or Chanel?
- 4 bottoms (likely 3 pairs of jeans and 1 pair of trousers)
- 6 tops (likely 4 cashmere and 2 silk shirts for layering)
- 2 shawls and 2 silk scarves
- small selection of jewels
Thanks for reading!